Check Your Voting Status
Saturday, February 12, 2011
Penang Chief Minister Chinese New Year Message for Penangites
Penang Can Be A Portrait Of Progress When Both Penangites Regains Their Trust In Their State Government And The Government Has Faith In The Wisdom Of The People.
The Penang state government wishes all Penangites a Happy Chinese New Year of the Rabbit. Penang can be a portrait of progress when both Penangites regains their trust in their state government and the government has faith in the wisdom of the people.
Since coming into power in March 2008, the PR state government has slowly regained the people’s trust and confidence in the state government. To overcome public distrust of the state government as an institution that does not help but harm the people, PR has terminated the politics of patronage, cronyism and corruption. Instead PR has adopted a people’s government centered on 3Es of enabling the people with skills and education, empowering them with rights or opportunities and enriching the people by ensuring that the fruits of economic success can be shared.
PR has shown our faith in the people by stressing that a good government must do three things, listen to the people, do the people’s work and give hope to the people. The results of both the people having trust in the state government and the government placing faith in the wisdom of Penangites is an amazing series of historical firsts for Penang. The 10 No.ls for Penang in Malaysia are as follows:-
1. Penang top in investments with RM12,238 million, the largest in Penang’s history, or 26% of 2010 Malaysia’s total investments;
2. Penang praised for good financial management topping both years 2008 and 2009;
3. Penang top in reducing the crime index for 2010 by 27%, the largest amongst all states;
4. Penang top in green initiatives to make Penang the first green state in Malaysia;
5. Penang top in fighting corruption being the only state government in Malaysia to be praised by Transparency International for our open tenders and CAT governance based on Competency, Accountability and Transparency;
6. Penang top in medical tourism with two-thirds of Malaysia’s medical receipts originating from Penang;
7. Penang the first state to give RM100 annually to every senior citizen above 60 as well as wipe out hard-core poverty and ensuring that every family receives at least RM500 a month;
8. Penang has the highest air passenger growth for both domestic and foreign travelers in 2010;
9. Penang top in Malaysia for protecting, preserving and promoting the UNESCO World Heritage City of George Town.
10. Penang now on top as the most livable city in Malaysia on par with Kuala Lumpur.
Further, Penang continues to enjoy not only the cheapest water rates but also the best water quality. There are 750 free wifi hotspots in our efforts to make Penang a wifi state. Penang is also the only state with a Speakers’ Square where there is freedom of speech as well as freedom after speech.
There is still so much more to do. Inflation and the recent rises in petrol prices have caused an unfair financial burden on the people. The racists and extremists who preach racial supremacy continue to undermine the people’s welfare by preaching hatred and even fomenting violence.
However, the successes by Penang in having 10 No.1s have given both the government and the people the self-confidence to move forward. Penangites can be better and succeed not because of the colour of our skin or our background or our ancestry; but through hard work and intelligence.
Let us work together regardless of race and religion to make Penang cleaner, greener and safer for our children.
2011 Penang State Government Chinese New Year Message By Penang Chief Minister Lim Guan Eng In Komtar, George Town On 2.2.2011.
Posted by Richard Loh at 3:21 PM