By S Arutchelvan | Malaysiakini
On behalf of the party, PSM would like to express our heartfelt thanks to all the brave people for all their effort, solidarity, support and struggle in ensuring the release of our six comrades. We wish to thank the massive support from all quarters – the civil society movements, the NGOs, the legal assistance from the lawyers, Pakatan Rakyat parties the DAP, PKR, PAS as well as PRM.
Also individuals from BN like Khairy Jamaluddin, individuals in Gerakan, MCA and MIC. As well the great solidarity of the International community as well as the international socialist parties all over the world.
We thank all those who have sent letters, solidarity message and participated in online petition, those who lodged police reports, send in memorandum, collected signatures, spoken out, held nightly vigils, held prayers and kept protesting the arrest.
We dedicate this release to all these brave people in Malaysia and all over the world, They are the true heroes who released our six comrades. This is a victory for all those who demanded for change and stood up against oppression. We are humbled by this great support, courage and solidarity.
Five main issues PSM wants to raise:
1. Before we go into that, we would like to express our thanks and gratitude to the wardens and the policemen who according to our released comrades took very good care of them and treated them well and with respect.
The problem is not with the lower ranking policemen but with the top level of the police force. We call for the immediate resignation of the IGP and especially the deputy IGP, both of whom we consider were the main actors in manufacturing lies and fabricating evidence to punish PSM and the EO6.
They have lied to the Malaysians over the last 34 days that
PSM is waging war against DYMM Yang DiPertuan Agong.
PSM trying to revive the MCP
PSM working with foreign agents elements to topple the Government
PSM is the “penggerak” or the main organiser of BERSIH
Because of this manipulation, the IGP and the DIGP should resign.
2. The arrest and the detention of the PSM6 is unlawful, illegal and in bad faith. The central committee of the party will discuss with our lawyer on the next course of action with regards to this.
3. We call for the AG to drop the case against of the 24 other PSM members and grassroots members who have been charged on other ridiculous grounds related to Bersih 2.0 especially for distributing Bersih leaflets. Bersih was only declared illegal by the Home Ministry on July 2 whereas the 24 were arrested on 25 June. It is therefore a waste of public funds for the government to pursue the charges, and we call upon the AG to drop this case.
4. We call for the repeal of the Emergency Ordinance (EO), Internal Security Act (ISA), as well as the Dangerous Drug Act's special prevention measures that allows detention without trial. All detention without trial laws should go. The government should seek to either charge detainees or release them.
5. PSM will next embark on a nationwide tour to explain to the people the true reason behind the arrests of our members and the conspiracy against PSM, and to continue our call 'Udahlah tu....bersaralah', as well as to thank the people for their support as well as explain
Long live the people! Long live PSM
S Arutchelvan is PSM secretary general.